Sunday, April 30, 2006

The DAY has arrived!!

Moving day!

It's moving day!!

I have mixed feelings about leaving the Depths of Hell. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually going to miss it. Just a little. This was my first home away from the ranch. This was my first haven all to myself, where I could hide from the world, count the tick-tocks of the clock, and chew obsessively on my hands without having my housemates (And by housemates, I mean Mother) slapping at me and telling me to stop.

This was the first place that taught me how much living away from the comforts of home sucks. But, by the same token, this was the first place that taught me how absolutely freeing it is to come home stumbling drunk at four in the morning, singing at the top of my lungs, and not have my father look me in the eye and say suspiciously: "Have you been drinking?"

I learned how to make homemade chicken Parmigiana (I know that's not how you spell it!) and that it's ok to set the smoke detector off four times in the process of cooking one meal.

I learned that when the crazy ladies are feuding, banging on the doors and screaming until all hours, it's OK to call 9-1-1, and occasionally even good to have the police on your side.

I'm proud of myself for making it here in Hell. The reason I moved in here in the first place? No lease. I figured that, when I came to the city, I would lay in bed crying for a month, and then give it up and head back home. I didn't. I survived. I made it through the homeless drunk people accosting me for cigarettes, I've survived thousands of block parties that could wake the dead, I've dealt with the crazy ladies and I've learned what it is like to have the color of my hair changed by my living conditions.

Coperni-Kitty and I have made this our home. I feel like dancing and saying "Take that, Kitty! I beat you! I lasted it out in Hell without having a nervous breakdown and insisting that I be sent back to the ranch!" But then I realize how pathetic it is to compete with one's cat over who is tougher. And then I smile, because sometimes it's ok to be a little bit pathetic.

It's moving day. I leave with mixed feelings: Mostly because I'm scared to death of what the summer and the next year brings: at the same time, I can't wait to take this summer head on and see what it can throw my way.

Why?

Because I am a woman (*cheer!*). I have breasts! (*Applause*). I can do anything!!! (*Rah Rah!!*) And you? Can like it.

Fare the well, Hell. It's been a slice.

Toonses

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>Toonses wrote:
>Because I am a woman (*cheer!*). >I have breasts! (*Applause*). I >can do anything!!! (*Rah Rah!!*) >And you? Can like it.

You are. You most certainly do. Of course you can. And I like it.

6:40 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it alot.

6:40 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home