Thursday, April 20, 2006

Frickin' Frackin' Frick!

I have a major issue with one of my professors. He taught the most hideously boring class on the Sociology of Health, Illness, and Medicine. I'm pretty sure that the only thing I learned in that class is that you spell medicine with an I instead of an E. Who would have thought?

The man spent twenty minutes (at least) in our final class talking about the exam. He said he didn't like multiple choice because in multiple choice, the answer is right in front of you and that's not fair. (Who's the dumbass who made that decision?)

So, he said that the entire exam would be writing out key concepts, short answer, and long answer.

Now don't get me wrong. I love me some essay questions now and then. As you can tell by my constant ramblings at this very location, I can blather about nothing, quite literally, for months. So blathering about nothing in relation to the sociology of health, illness, and medicine wouldn't be that difficult.

Except that, should the exam make such demands as asking us to list the four components of Socialized health care, or to list the five factors behind the Medical Model of sickness, or to list the key elements of Parson's model of the sick role, I'd be fucked, because I can't list any of those things.

Fortunately, the teacher decided to not ask anything even remotely related to the sociology of health, illness, and medicine. Most of the questions on that exam could have been answered by a four year old with a highlighter and a desire to practice circles. The essay question, which was worth 12.5 points (Who made the decision to make the essay worth 12.5? And why is it that each multiple choice was worth .75? What the hell is up with that? Why not save yourself the math and make everything equal a point?) was on either bio-psycho-social models of medicine, or to explain the factors that underlie poverty and it's tie to mental health issues by using such terms as social drifting theory.

Anyhow, long story short, people have mental health issues because poverty sucks and poverty sucks because people have mental health issues. And it sucks.

Oh, and it hogs up all the resources because government agencies are only half-assed funded (at best) to try and solve the problems, so a lot of money is going to places that it could help, only it can't because it's not enough.

What I find most hilarious is that I'm stressing over stuff like this, but I still have no idea what type of irrigation I'll go with on my strawberry farm, how many PSIs my irrigation system needs, or how many plants per square acre one should plant for optimal growth of plants without overcrowding.

It's funny, the places life takes you.

Toonses

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi.

The exam was easy because I spit at you on the phone last night and thats an old Danish custom for good luck. Ha! Did you study that in Sociology? My MOL used to spit at me all the time and it kind of creeped me out but hey, I've had a pretty lucky life.
Supernan.

5:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home