Wednesday, October 31, 2007

And Life Continues....

The growth on the dog's head?

CURED. GONE. As in, no longer there. As in, no longer staring me down everywhere I go.

Praise be.

I'm really on the fence about posting about work related issues here. It would probably be best that I don't ever mention that I have a job ever again on my blog, and the world can just think that not only am I 23 and living with my parents, that I'm 23, unemployed and living with my parents. Fortunately, I consider myself a wordsmith, of sorts, and I feel that I'm pretty good at talking about something without ever giving out pertinent information. Like, random blathering, where you blather for hours on end and get nothing of importance said. I'm good at that, let me tell you.

I had to use a skill set at work last night that I was trained in a few months ago: A skill set that I've been scared about using since I was in this field, a skill set that I don't ever want to have to use, but that circumstances forced me to use.

Its amazing how much of a process this learning to work with troubled kids can be. I came into this field with a big old question mark above my head: Like, I don't really know why I'm here, and I don't really know what I'm doing, but hey, let's give this shit a whirl, shall we?

You enter into a lot of situations with preconceptions, and when it comes to my professional life, I'm very open minded and willing to admit my faults. I'm willing to listen to others with more experience and find out what they have to offer.

That being said, a lot of a person's (And by 'a person's', I really mean 'my') preconceptions need to be experienced before a person can understand the situation.

So, the skill set. I've always just sort of assumed that workers in this field should be aware of this skill set, but should not necessarily ever be in a position to use it. I've always thought that if a worker was good enough, he or she wouldn't need to use that skill set because of the other options available.

Last night I had to use this skill set I'm talking about, the one I thought I was just such an expert on, and it was such an eye-opening experience.

I really feel like I'm making headway with myself as a professional in this field, as someone who might actually have a future here. I managed myself in a pretty hectic situation, a situation that the me of a few years ago, or even a few months ago wouldn't have been able to handle.

And I'm proud of me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home