Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Latest Addiction...

You may or may not know, but I work in a rather challenging field.

For this job, I have to be in incredibly good spirits before I walk in the door. I can't be cranky, I can't have a headache. I can't be overtired, I can't be irritable. I simply can not. Dealing with a house full of teenage boys DEMANDS good humor.

I've never been a particularly big fan of coffee. Sure, I used to have a cup now and then, and by now and then, I mean every few months. If I go to a coffee shop, I tend to get an iced coffee beverage rather than a real cup of coffee.

I discovered coffee one day while I was desperately searching for a beverage. I'm not sure if it is the wierd lumpy neck disease I'm suffering from, or if I'm just the thirstiest person on the planet, but lately I've desperately needed a drink everywhere I go.

So, I had a cup of coffee while I was taking a break one night, a particularly tired night, and OH MY DEAR SWEET HEAVENLY LORD.

I was awake. I was perked up. I was suddenly overcome with just a touch of energy, such that I could make it through the shift.

Since that night, several weeks ago, I have become a coffee fiend. I drink instant, I drink the fancy stuff from Tim Horton's. I prefer a well-brewed cup from the gas station that is on the way to work. I take it sweet, laden with 18% cream, and only mildly hot.

But regardless of what it is, if it resembles coffee, I WANT IT IN MY HAND. And I want it now.

And really, once I have it? Once it is in my happy hand, on its sweet and creamy way to my mouth and happily flowing down my throat?

I become a pleasant, happy, sane, and rational person to be with.

And my word, it is grand.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your newfound drug! Sadly coffee and all warm drinks, caffeinated or not, make me feel sleepy and there is nothing I can do about it it seems. It would have been so handy in my school days to be able to drink a strong cup of coffee and stay awake for an extra hour or two but it never worked that way.

Hopefully coffee will be something you enjoy drinking regularly but don't need to drink in order to have a good day like it is for many who can't function without that morning coffee (Hi mother and sister of mine!).

While we're at it, can I talk you down to 2% milk? Actually, you're a new enough coffee drinker that you deserve to enjoy it with the cream. When you want to lose the extra 1lb you'll gain every 12-15 years of drinking coffee, you know what to do ;)

1:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home