Friday, October 27, 2006

The Weekend, The Weekend....

It's finally the weekend.

Finally.

At last.

It's been a long week. And when your long week culminates beside an oversized box of feminine care devices and ends with a co-worker ripping a bandaid off your arm at work (Long after you've finished your shift) ... Well, you know it's been a long week.

I had to have blood taken today. The doctor on campus wants to make sure that there's nothing physically wrong with me.

You might say that she's double checking to make sure that I am, in fact, insane. Which is nice of her, when you think that perhaps I'm not actually insane and for all these years I may have just had a vitamin defficiency.

I can see Tom Cruise jumping on a couch right now.

So, yes. Blood. Taken from my. Pumped out of my body against my will.

I only cried a little bit.

The thing is, I just don't think it's a good idea to go around with a big old hole poked into one of your veins all day. And while it may be a bit over overkill to hospitalize someone for an afternoon to make sure their veins don't explode after having blood taken, I don't think it's a terrible idea either.

I guess the problem lies in the fact that I don't know enough about physiology. Because obviously it's safe to take blood. But I just picture the blood pumping so easily out of my veins during the office visit, and then I wonder, what keeps it from shooting out of my veins the rest of the day?

And I've watched a lot of Fear Factor in my lifetime. I know all about coagulating, and the possibility for blood balls and all that kind of thing. I know that in reality, my body doesn't actually want to spurt out blood through the hole in the vein that was left there that morning.

But for some reason, I'm always scared that will happen. Like, I'll be standing there serving a customer, and I'll reach across the Cajun Steak dish to the cheese dish, and a big spurt of blood will shoot out and hit the sneeze guard.

Disgusting, no?

At any rate, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that my veins did not turn against me and spurt blood out at inopportune moments, and my body actually did it's job and made sure that my vein did it's little coagulating thing the way it was supposed to.

That doesn't mean it wasn't on my mind, though.

Toonses

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home