Thursday, July 10, 2008

Unable to Ride...

I spent much of this winter and spring looking forward to summer, like most people here who live under forty three feet of snow for eleven and a half months of the year. (That's a bit of an exaggeration. But since there was a day when it took me two tractors and forty minutes to get to my ten-minutes-away workplace? I'm going to exaggerate if I damn well please.)

The snow started melting mid-afternoon last Tuesday (see above), and now that the piles of snow are gone, water has been left in its place.

We recently had four days of glorious -- Wait, that's a lie. They were not glorious days. They were just so-so days where a monsoon didn't threaten to swallow us whole, and the cute farmers next door came to take away the hay beside the house. Which means that, technically, I can ride in the field beside the house.

Tonight my mother and I went out to examine the ring. It is much like the bottom of a swamp, covered in moss, full of insects, frogs, small lizards and that very distinct swamp-y smell. We gave up looking for a patch of dry land and instead went to search the hay field beside the house.

Well, now. The hay field is equally swampy and my father assures me that if I ride in it, I will be certain to break at least fifty percent of my horse's legs.

And I'm trying to stay positive. I'm trying to stay happy, and to not curl up into a ball on the living room floor and weep for hours on end. I admit that a few stray tears did escape me this evening because it has been months now and I can not safely ride my horse anywhere. I have done nothing to improve my game, done nothing with the hundreds of dollars worth of jumps my mother bought me last year. My horse is completely out of shape, as am I, and the show season for this year is done.

I was hoping if my show season were to be cancelled altogether, there would at least be a hideous accident that would render me incapacitated. Maybe with some traction involved? Heavy duty pain killers?

But no. My season has ground to a halt (Actually, that's a lie, too. It didn't grind to a halt -- it never even started.) because of the weather.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home