Thursday, November 08, 2007

Look Here, Bambi....

I spent a collective eight hours outside in the freezing cold this week, before the sun was up and while the dew was still frozen on the grass. It seems, though, that Bambi and his ilk have chosen to stay out of the woods lately, and other than a mink, I didn't see any glorious wildlife creatures.

Dixie has not been speaking with me lately, choosing instead to look at me with forlron, beagle-y little eyes that simply scream "You assholes went hunting without me and now I am going to pout in this kennel until --". And it would have been a complete thought, I swear it would have been, except that at that moment, my Dad took out some kibble and she forgot entirely about mad. For the time being, anyhow.

I took a nap today after work, and I woke up an hour earlier than expected, which is a fairly odd occurrence for me. I woke up because something was not right, and as I sat there on the couch wondering why my slumber had been cut short, I realized that it was not a problem with my attire, nor the arrangement of blankets, nor the temperature of my body; it dealt entirely with the fact that Dixie was not sleeping on my left shoulder, causing it and my left arm to lose the totality of their mobility and sensation. Waking up like that, with complete function in my left arm, was such an odd experience. When you add to that the fact that not only did I wake up with sensation, I woke up without a face full of beagle hair and not smelling like dog, I think part of my heart broke off and shattered into a million pieces.

The good news is that Deer Hunt 2007 will continue on Saturday and possibly Sunday. I finally have a FULL weekend off work, and of course, the only thing I can think to do with my time is to get up at four a.m. and head out to a freezing cold bush to sit in the elements with a gun, dressed in blaze orange.

Not a lot of people's dream vacation time, I know, but one that works for me nonetheless.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home