Thursday, September 27, 2007

Where Do I Go From Here?

I met the love of my life this summer, a sixteen year old Thoroughbred named Zydo. Thus far our relationship has been just peachy. He had a fit at me once, and we've had a couple rocky days together. Once a trailer went by on the road while I was riding, and I said, "Look here, AssHat. Keep it up and you'll be on one of those STRAIGHT TO THE GLUE FACTORY." He seemed to straighten right up after that, and I'm glad we have the relationship we do. Like, I can totally threaten him with the glue factory, or the dog food company, at any point, and he's like, Fine, BitchFace. I'll listen. BUT ONLY BECAUSE YOU HAVE OPPOSABLE THUMBS THAT CAN WORK THE GRAIN SCOOP.

I have progressed in my riding in leaps and bounds this summer, a feat I am entirely proud of. I've had success to the point where I can feel it in my ribs, I can taste it in my mouth, and my God, it's like beer. You just want to feel it and taste it again and again until you're comatose in a puddle of your own drool on someone else's couch.

Over the last four weeks, I've reached a plateau and now I'm not sure what to do. I like to ride for pleasure but at the same time I want to be working on a specific skill set. The problem is that I need miles and miles in the saddle to work up my muscles before I can get the skills I need.

My coach from way back when was discussing this with me one day, and suggested a certain barn for lessons. This barn is not fancy, by any means, but they have good quality fit horses to ride at an incredibly reasonable rate.

My neighbor was over tonight and he works at a reputable stable. He told me he could swing me a deal, price negotiable on lessons in eventing, which is where I feel my niche is in the equestrian world. She turns winners out of her barn. She's a tough coach, and she means business. She's not here to fuck around when it comes to riding. Every one of my skills thus far will be worked on, put under a microscope. I'll be tested in will, strength, capability.

The thing is, what do I want to do? Do I want to meander around with minimal pressure? Or do I want to play with the big boys?

How do I make this decision?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, only you know what you want to do, as cheesy as that sounds. and if you don't know, then you have to sit yourself down and depending on what way works best for you. Is it the "I'm not doing another thing until I decide/discover/find out what I want" way or "I'll just sit here and let the answer come to me. If it doesn't come today, no worries. There is no timeline on this decision"? Perhaps some combination of the two?

[I need to work some things out for me and I'm doing both things simultaneously]

So, you need to figure out why you got Zydo and what you want to do with hm. If riding's main purpose is as a form of relaxation or therapy of sorts, then lessons might not be needed. But if you want to be the best rider you can be, given the time you have to devote to it, then maybe lessons are the way to go.

2:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home