Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Biggest Waste of Time Since Watching Grass Grow

I recently joined FaceBook, this illusive Internet phenomenon that everyone has been pestering me to join for about a year now.

I have to stop and say here that I refused to join for the longest time, and had a pact with Mal. Well, SHE CAVED FIRST. I found her on there when I joined about a week after she did. How odd that we would both cave at approximately the same time. Clearly, we have spent far too much time together.

At any rate, I have joined and I'm really not that impressed. I've been browsing people and thinking "Hey! That chick! We stopped talking in 2001 because we moved on with our lives! And now we can talk again!"

But if we went our separate ways years ago, why would we start talking again now?

Personally, I feel like its a little stalker-ish. And don't get me wrong, I love being a creepy stalker as much as the next person. But why am I sitting here looking at pics of people I don't talk to any more, finding out what is going on in their lives without them exactly knowing about it?

Its like spying, and it seems a little perverse.

But hey, who knows. Perhaps I'll soon become one of those facebook addicts and fall in love with the whole process.

Or, I'll just keep looking at it because I have nothing better to do with my time.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I held out on facebook for a long time, but eventually caved. It is quite stalkerish. You log on and look, "Wow, a whole bunch of people I stopped talking to... are now adding me as a friend" followed immediately with, "for the love of everything holy, enough with the 'poking' crap already."

~smile~

9:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the poking. I'm still not convinced that facebook doesn't just randomly pick one of your "friends" to poke you and pretend that it actually came from your friend. It's a good way to get people talking with people on their list, thus visiting the site more and making the creators/owners of facebook more money.

And about facebook generally, I use it primarily to stalk people. I am shocked by the number of people two years younger than me who are married. I also find it gives you some little known but useless information about the people you actually see and talk to regularly.

Them: I got a new haircut yesterday

You: Yeah, I saw that...it's really cute!

Them: I haven't seen you since I got the haircut, dummy!

You: You're the dummy: you posted the picture on facebook yesterday!

I find the same thing happens with blogging too: I see my friends in person and want to go on about this creep I sat beside in the bus and they're all like "We know, we read it on your blog!"

10:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home