Thursday, February 15, 2007

Outrage.....

As some of you may recall, I had a bit of trouble this fall with a doctor in the city. Thankfully, Dr. Chuck came to my rescue and fixed me right up. However, it was a terrifying time in which this city doctor quite literally nearly killed me with ultra high doses of a fairly serious drug with no follow up care.

I've been hesitant to be a squeaky wheel here. For one thing, I'm only one patient and my situation is unique, much like that of every patient they see. Another reason is the administration at my school, which has left me in tears more times than I care to think about.

Considering that the people at my school treat students like dirt stuck to the bottom of their shoes at the best of times, I'm fairly concerned of how they will react if I were to demand to speak to a person in authority. I'd have to maintain composure, for one thing. I'd have to look articulate and intelligent, hold my posture and maintain eye contact. I'd also have to wear appropriate shoes. If there is anything in this world that is beyond me, footwear is it.

Today a friend called me while I was studying and needed an ear. So, I picked up the phone and she told me her tale. It included being prescribed a medication she specifically said she didn't want as well as being given two drugs she didn't ask for nor did she think she needed. Finally, the doctor made rude comments about her size (And let me tell you, she is beautiful beyond words) and about her lifestyle.

So now I want to take this somewhere. I want people to know what is going on; not only how our school is allowing students to be treated medically, but how our school is allowing professionals who are supposed to be trusted to treat us. It disgusts me when I think that when I went in, I needed some specific care and this doctor wrote out a prescription and sent me on my way. No interest in how my symptoms arose, or in why they would persist for so long.

I have no idea how or where to start. I'm thinking of going to the health office and starting a hunt there for some names of people I could contact, but I have no idea who or what section of the school deals with the health centre. I will no doubt be pushed away, have my letters ignored, and be placated.

If that doesn't work, I suppose my only other option is to go to the media; both the school newspapers and local newspapers. Bad publicity is really what scares corporations like my school. The problem is that I'm so scared of starting something like this.

The other problem is that if someone doesn't start this, then who will? Who next will be overdosed on mass quantities of drugs that doctors don't know what to do with? What if the next person they do that to doesn't have a family unit like I do, or a place to go to recover like I do?

I know the people closest to me had a lot of trouble accepting my troubles in the fall. It wasn't actually that hard on me once I was in the care of Dr. Chuck: I was sleeping most of the time. As bad as I feel for putting my family and friends through an episode of watching me go through what I did, I am eternally grateful every day that I had these people to help me through. I've been thinking and thinking about the people who don't have that network behind them, and it is just not fair that the school is getting away with this.

The problem is that I just feel like little ol' me, and that there isn't much I can accomplish on my own. It's a scary world, because sometimes you have to stand up for what is right, and sometimes that is such a hard decision to make, and an even harder one to follow through on.

Toonses

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home