Thursday, August 12, 2010

On Yoga

Because I want to begin to meditate.

First, a quote from a book I am reading: "Yoga is about self mastery and the dedicated effort to haul your attention away from your endless brooding over the past and your nonstop worrying about the future so you can seek, instead, a place of eternal presence from which you may regard yourself". This is from page 122 of the novel Eat, Pray, Love. You should go buy it right this minute.

Another quote from a dear friend: When you are with your loved one (horse) you are in a state of meditation, a state of awareness that transcends the rest of your life, you are linked with a real force in which you communicate on many levels. You feel and understand the dynamics between the two of you. It is REAL. You don't have to think about it. That is meditation.

So, I already meditate, I just never knew that it was meditation until now.

I want to be in a state wherby I transcend the rest of my life and be linked to a real force.

It might sound kind of whacky and new-aged for a gun-toting, cigarette-smoking, beer-swilling redneck, but I'm going to give it a try.

Because sometimes I just have days where I need to transcend the rest of my life.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Funny how your friend understands riding. That's how I feel too.
SuperNan

2:40 p.m.  
Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

Sounds lovely. I enjoy my yoga but it's hard to do with the little ones around, I have to get up super early.

3:50 p.m.  
Blogger Annette said...

Your friend is right. Riding is most definitely a form of meditation.

And don't worry about whacky and new-aged. I teach yoga. I also write murder mysteries. You're no whackier than I am. ;-)

8:07 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home