Thursday, July 29, 2010

On My Love of Food...

I post often about my love of food. Because I enjoy food and all that comes with it.

I have what could be considered the unhealthiest diet in the world. I live to eat cheeseburgers and poutine, eggs benedict and home fries, hot dogs, shawarma with garlic potatoes... the list goes on.

As a result of this, I have hired a nutritionist. She's registered. She believes in avoiding red meats and Yoga. I'm not sure yet how she feels about four wheel drive and deer season, but I guess I'll soon find out.

My body feels the effects of what I eat. When I am working hard all day and I eat some really good proteins, whole grains and vegetables, I actually feel better although not full. I feel fully satisfied after I eat the greasiest, unhealthiest meal in the world (Poutine and pogos with diet pop)(with seconds) but I feel very lethargic after I eat like this.

I tried creating for myself healthy lunches while awaiting my appointment with the nutritionist. And today, when I handed in my questionnaire to the her, I proudly displayed to her my 'healthy lunch and supper'.

This consisted of:
- an apple
- a peach
- a can of low sodium V8 vegetable cocktail
-Potato soup (Only 90 calories and it is delicious!)
- 2 cups of Greek salad with a serving of light feta and low calorie Greek dressing

I was so proud! I bought these foods with the intention of eating them and patting myself on the back for being so damn healthy.

And then the nutritionist laughed at me and told me I was just so cute.

Sigh.

I am meeting with her tomorrow in hopes that she can make some reccomendations, come up with a meal plan, look into some kind of cleanse to get the toxins out of my body, and create a regime of supplements for me.

I don't want to become one of those die-hard crazy nutrition people but I am interested in seeing what this kind of dietary refinement can do for my physical and mental well-being.

I'm really wondering if I have the willpower to pass up fry trucks for the rest of the summer. I'm going to give her program a month and see how I feel at that point.

Pray for me. And also, eat some eggs benedict for breakfast and a poutine for supper because if I'm not eating these delightful creations? Somebody should be.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jummy said...

Kudos to you for taking charge of your health. I'll have to take your word for it that you eat soo unhealthily, but I don't really believe it.

I need to resume taking a multivitamin, asap!

1:47 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome. that diet of yours sounds like mine. In fact, I'm tempted to go out and get a Poutine right now.

As for your meal plan, where's the protein? The apple and peach are glycemic bombs, as is the potato soup (I'm surprised it's only 90 calories). You said you're working long days, you need more complex carbs (potatoes and fruit are not complex carbs). It might not sound like it, but this actually was a good first try. You just need more protein and grains, and the whole thing should weigh in around 600 calories per meal (more if you're physically active all day). If you have snacks, then steal of the calorie budget from the meals, to apply to snacks.

I hope you get that higher energy level you're after, since you already look great.

good luck.

12:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home