Thursday, April 29, 2010

It's You and Me, Big Guy...

These are the words I speak to my horse any time something 'big' appears before us. I whisper this to him if we are approaching a jump, if a particularly scary thing is coming up, before we enter the show ring, and any other time I feel fear or anxiety.

Sometimes I say it before we leave the stall, if I'm feeling particularly stressed about a ride.



Sometimes I have to do something that scares me a little bit, like let go of the inside rein at the canter. I hate letting go of the inside rein. I've honestly not ridden him hands-free since I've owned him.



Sometimes the mounting block scares me. I never tell him that it's me and him then. Usually I just get someone to hold him for me. More experienced riders don't have this issue. Sigh.



I am not a hacker. "Hacking" is the term used to describe those riders who wish to ride in the great outdoors, where scary things like butterflies and emus and deer and quail exist. These things can jump out at you at any moment, and no amount of whispering "It's you and me, Big Guy" can help. Certain other riders are not afraid of hacking, and as such, I hire them frequently to give my horse the excercise he needs beyond the beautious indoor arena.



So, here we are.

It's time, once more, to take life by the horns and ride my horse. We don't know how much more riding Zydo's arthritis can take at this point. One thing I know about Zydo is that he is desperate to work. He wants to keep going, he will run on his sore leg until I say stop.

He never says stop.

And so, I'm going to ride my horse, that magnificent beast, to the best of my ability because I owe it to him. I recieved him as a gift almost three years ago and I haven't, until now, had the ability to ride him in the way he deserves to be ridden.

And Hell, if this kid can't do it, why not me?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fearless is the word of the season!!

9:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home