Friday, March 12, 2010

The Road Trip: Part III

So this is where the trip started to get cool. We were on our way to visit some friends of Mal's in Halifax. Our plan was this: Drive for four hours, have lunch, drive for four more hours, get on the ferry, and arrive in Newfoundland in time to drive across the province before dark.

However.

Halifax turned out to be an asshole. Not that it wasn't a beautiful province or that the people were not pleasant. Just that we didn't know the roads on the way out of lunch and, as a result, I felt like Halifax was being an asshole to me.



We got turned around here, and instead of taking exit 7E, we took exit 7 East, or maybe it was the other way around, who knows. But we ended up turning on the GPS to find out where we were. We then turned it off again and ended up on a wrong road that turned out to travel us along the shoreline of Nova Scotia.

Sweet Merciful Mother of God.

The beauty.



Driving there, on a sunny, beautiful day with my dearest friend, I really felt at peace with the world, I'm not going to lie. I've never been on a 'real' vacation before, one free of stress or planning; one where I can just put everything off my mind and exist in the moment. And I realized then just how much I need to start existing in the moment because I felt absolutely free. I was looking at the boats and watching the water and admiring the towns and bridges and the sunset.

I felt like a new person altogether.

We made it back to the main highway and had dinner at an adorable little diner before driving further into the night.



However.

There was apparently a storm and the ocean was being uncooperative and our ferry would not be crossing the ocean that night.

We were forced to get a hotel room that night, one that was not smoking friendly but that offered free internet service and enough pillows for us to rest our heads on for the night. We slept soundly before waking up in the morning to see the ocean, get on a ferry, and arrive in Newfoundland. Twelve hours later than anticipated, but in Newfoundland nonetheless.

I felt uneasy going to bed that night because my Word, I was far from home. I still managed to sleep like a rock and wake up in relatively decent spirits the next day. I have to say that there was a lingering odor permeating all of our belongings at that time, but I didn't feel like mentioning it because it wasn't that big of a deal.

Yet.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home