Tuesday, March 30, 2010

On Road Signs...

Road signs have perplexed me for years. I've hated them always.

This past winter, especially, I have detested road signs. I've wanted to get a job as Minister of Road Signs, whereby I would mandate that by law, all signs had to be four feet high and heated so that snow would not hinder people's vision of them.

I've bitched to all my friends about road signs, and occasionally screamed at the assholes who make them from my car as I drive by the road I was supposed to turn on because the fucking sign was illegible. This has also contributed to my driving anxiety as I never know what lane I should be in, and once I'm close enough to read the sign, I often find myself in the wrong lane. Then I have to get back in the right lane, which city drivers rarely let you do. (Also, I've been driving in the city every day since I got my new job. But that is a different rant.)

And then, on our journey across Canada, Mal got a little sick of my hatred for road signs and pointed out that hey! Maybe the problem isn't with the signs.

So, I went to the optometrist this past Saturday and OH MY GOD.

Did you know that the whole world isn't supposed to be blurry? I just thought that's how things were, just thought my vision was totally normal and that it was ok to have to squint and struggle to see things on the Tim Horton's menu.

I've now been outfitted with glasses that are of a very light prescription but that have altered my life in a huge way. I had my mother drive home from the appointment so that I could see all the world has to offer. The trees! They have BRANCHES that are distinguishable from one another! The branches aren't just a jumbly-bumbly mess of brown, they are individual BRANCHES.

Oh, and the road signs. So clear. So visible. So easy to read.

I almost want to apologize for all the years I spent swearing at the people who made them so damn small.

Vision is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

I now think everyone should go to the optometrist. I'll even take you there! Being able to actually see is such an amazing thing that I am now officially recommending it to all my friends.

And blog readers.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

I can so relate. It's been decades since I received my first pair of glasses, but I can still recall how amazed I was to discover my mother's carpeting had a design woven into it!

6:45 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home