Saturday, November 28, 2009

First Day on My (Top Secret) New Job...

So, the mountains of paperwork finally got completed and within one day, six calls came in. Well, six emails came in. Same difference.

At any rate, I made my way in to be a casual employee today and I'm sure that I certainly made an impression in only the way that I can.

I walked in to be peppered by signs telling me about all the ways I could kill all the children I would come into contact with. There were signs about air pollutants, signs about peanuts, signs about other nuts, a sign about latex and a sign about perfume. Then there were all the signs about epi-pens.

The first thought that entered my head was OH MY GOD WHAT IF I KILL A KID ON MY FIRST DAY simply by walking by him??? No perfume? No air pollutants? NO LATEX?!?! (Not that latex is a regular part of my workplace ensemble, but how can a person be sure?)

Then there was the parking fiasco. I was standing around having no idea what to do with myself when the loudspeaker through the building came on. When the voice said "Jeep", my heart stopped. I was then thrilled when they said "Cherokee" because do you know what I do for a living? I DO THINGS THAT DO NOT PAY ME ENOUGH TO DRIVE A JEEP CHEROKEE. So then I was all happy.

Until they read my license plate off and I had to go out and move my vehicle.

Sure, not the biggest crisis in the world, but I was trying to MAKE AN IMPRESSION.

My workday started at eight a.m. and all of this happened prior to seven fifty. Nothing like starting off with a few good panic attacks to burn off the milk in your morning coffee, let me tell you.

It was a good day, a job I can see myself doing. I was invited back and will go back as it is quite close to CowTown.

My eggs aren't all in this basket, of course, as I am casual. I keep saying that so that I don't get ahead of myself. I'm holding out, doing this job plus my current full time job, in hopes that I can get that elusive nine to five with weekends off. Hopefully within the next six months to one year, I'll be there.

Oh, to know what a Saturday night feels like again.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jummy said...

Congrats on getting the job (officially!). How often does a casual employee work? And this place is near Cowtown? You must tell me where! I imagined you working downtown and us meeting for lattés regularly for some reason.

2:00 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations! I can't really see how anybody should be using latex near children, that's kinda sick...Unless they mean gloves, then it's cool...except that it kills them, which isn't...Unless one of you has some horrible blood disease, then NOT using latex could kill one of you! What do they suggest in that case? Maybe interact with the kid through a big glass pane, with those thick rubber glove things? Doesn't seem like it would be good for the self-esteem of the kid...

ps. congrats on the new job! :)

1:21 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh, Joomy, meeting for lattes after work sounds dreamy! We will have to do so if I ever work near you. My work will be all over your fine city until I find something in one location.

David, you've certainly given me some issues to ponder with regards to the latex dilemma!

1:38 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home