Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I support our troops....

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't want to get all political on my blog. I try to avoid the controversial topics for a variety of reasons; namely, I want my blog to be entertaining.

I don't know if I support the war in Iraq or the war that was in Afghanistan. I simply don't know. I've been reading up on it, studying it, trying to figure things out for myself... and I can't.

My Brother has served in Afghanistan as a Canadian peacekeeper twice now. I am phenomenally proud of my him.

The first time he was there, I was starting college. Everyone in my class was getting to know each other and I was just mentioning that he was in Afghanistan. And one girl actually said to me "Oh, wow, your brother kills people for a living. You must be soooo proud". Quite honestly, that bitch is lucky she still has teeth in her head. I don't even know her name. Just that some bitch in my college class was really that ignorant.

People have said other things in my presence about the military, about the wars, about Canada's presence in Afghanistan. Do we belong there?

How the hell would I know?

What most people don't know is the truth. We aren't sending our boys over there to kill people and destroy lives and homes. The Canadian army is not a fighting army; we simply do not have the equipment or the man power to fight a war.

Canada's job is rebuilding. Canada's job is providing security. Canada's job is to create a strong military force to dissuade extremists from harming more innocent civilians.

For those of you who think that Canadian forces' sole job is to "blow shit up", or that we are sending our troops over to kill innocent children, you really need to gain some perspective.

My brother's friends and camerades were at one point sending letters home asking their wives, family, and friends to send over used baby clothing, toys, and furniture so that they could start a drop off centre for children.

One of the most asked for things by Canadian soldiers is Bic Pens. Why? Because the children of Afghanistan have never had contact with a Bic Pen and a piece of paper. And our soldiers, the ones our nation is so incredibly misled, ignorant, or both about, are providing those children with Bic Pens and papers.

The numbers my brother said he saw lining up to recieve their Bic Pens was heartwrenching. It was heartwrenching because the number of children who are that desperate to get their hands on a pen was so large. It is the year 2006: the age of the computer, the car that tells youif it is about to his something, the age of the internet and information. And there are millions of children out there lining up to get their hands on a Bic Pen. Our soldiers are handing them out.

My brother was on the very first mission to Afghanistan. When he first arrived, very few women or young girls were seen in the streets without being accompanied by a male, or without having their entire head and face covered. By the time he went on his second mission a year later, he was seeing girls walking arm in arm in the streets, laughing, talking. Being young girls.

I'm a young girl. I'm free. I love walking in the streets, arm in arm with my friends, laughing, talking.

If being able to walk free in the streets is a bad thing for Afghani women, then take our troops out of Afghanistan.

If having drop off centres that are furnished and available to the children of a nation that has been war torn for over twenty years, then take our troops out of Afghanistan.

If handing out writing tools to small children is a bad thing, then take our troops out of Afghanistan.

I don't know that much about this big world that I live in. But I know that I believe in my heart of all hearts that our troops in Afghanistan is a good thing. We can say that we belong to a nation that believes in peace, believes in rebuilding, believes in women's rights and childrens' safety.

I believe that Canada as a nation has some issues. There's plenty I find wrong with this country, don't get me wrong. But if giving peace a chance to happen, if giving women the right to be free, if making children safe and happy are bad things, then take me out of this world.

I believe in our troops, I believe in this country.

Please stop bashing Canadians in Afghanistan.

Sincerely,

Toonses

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sentiments are much the same. Our country stands for the good and I'm proud to live in it.

12:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home