Wednesday, March 19, 2008

On Riding My Horse....

I didn't really write too much about riding my horse yesterday, because I was just so excited about the ride and the pictures.

People sometimes ask me what it's like to ride a horse, because its something they've never experienced themselves. I'm not sure about how to describe riding a horse... the feelings it leaves you with after a successful venture out are hard to put into words. If I was to wake up beside someone who was blonde haired and blue eyed and over six feet tall; and if that someone had already driven the twenty minutes to Tim Horton's and gotten me a perfect triple triple; and then he had my favorite sweater washed with Gain and a case of beer that he never, EVER wanted me to pay him back for; and then instead of pestering me to make out with him all night he offered to sit idly by while I drank the beer and watched Sex and The City on DVD.....

That's the kind of joy I get from riding my horse. It is an all-encompassing feeling of joy and warm fuzziness that starts in my toes, works its way up my burning, aching legs, through my nearly blistered butt and up through my stiff and hurty shoulders. Because even though I love riding, after a three month hiatus, damn, does my ass ever hurt when I get off.

My whole life I have had the priveledge of watching expert riders ride horses. Sometimes I get to see my mother ride Zydo, and it fills my heart with joy because I know that perhaps, some day, I might make him move in such perfect segue from one stride to another. If that ever happens, I will know that I HAVE ARRIVED.



Riding is unlike any other sport because you are dependent on communicating with someone who is non-verbal. You literally control the motions of the horse with your thighs and your ass, your hands, and sometimes muffled screams as you dive through bushes at twenty three miles per hour in hopes of escaping an emu.

Zydo and I have to have a perfect relationship built on mutual trust, respect, and understanding, much like that which you get from a stable companionship with someone you love. If I don't trust him, he picks that up in my behavior, and if he doesn't trust me, I pick that up when he pitches me through the air and into the nearest telephone post.

I'm fortunate to own a horse that I have that relationship with, and sometimes when I think about how lucky I am to live back here at The Ranch, with my pony and my family that loves me, I have to stop and breathe for a minute. There were so many times in the last four years that I thought I would never be at peace with what I have, but then I think back on some of the wonderful, amazing opportunities I've had in the last twelve months....

And I think, Damn, this is what its all about.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home