Sunday, February 25, 2007

The sickness....

It seems that my body is in the process of being ravaged by a random sickness again, and this time I am fighting back, dammit.

Last week at the beginning of reading week I felt sort of scratchy-throated as though I was coming down with something. I managed to beat it off with the infusion of several ounces of hard liquor into my veins while playing video games with Mal at The Ranch. I thought I had beaten it for good, but today at around noon, I noticed that my sinuses are somewhat congested, I've been sneezing like it's my job, and I've felt slightly discombobulated.

I hate the sickness. Some people refer to the sickness as a cold or a flu. The new hip and cool catch phrase for the sickness is 'a virus'. I hate this term, virus, for a multitude of reasons. It seems to me that it's become like the words 'organic' and 'natural'. Marketing people have begun applying it to anything that might come with a label, and in turn, the word has turned in to some obscure thing that people say in order to sound like they know what they are talking about.

Most people don't really have a clue as to whether or not people have colds, flus, viruses, or a random infection when they come down with the sickness. The fact is that they feel funny, feel scratchy-throated, and don't want to get up to write their anthropology midterms on Tuesday should they actually have acquired the sickness. Other people, in turn, apply the term virus to this crappy feeling, in hopes that having some kind of random label attached to the illness will be comforting and helpful.

I hate to break it to you, people, but labeling an obscure thing a virus instead of a cold still leaves us with an obscure label that isn't particularly helpful.

I went to the store after I got home tonight and bought some orange juice, vitamin C, garlic tablets, and antiseptic throat gargling stuff in an attempt to stave off whatever it is I have. For now, I kind of feel like I'm going to die, so wile I was supposed to study all night long tonight, I'm going to finish up a chapter or two of Anthropology and then fall into slumber while my body recuperates from the sickness. Hopefully a night of good sleep, a vitamin C and garlic infused bloodstream, and an opportunity for my throat to have it's germies killed with gargle-y stuff will do the trick.

If not, prepare for me to get cranky.

Toonses

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home