Tuesday, April 18, 2006

It was one of those days today....

I awakened at six a.m, with my alarm... and oddly, I woke up feeling refreshed and ready to face the world.

I walked to work in the bright sunshine, smiling happily at Can Man and the coons who were digging through the trash. I got to work and had nary an argument with my coworkers. We worked merrily, gossiping about sex, the city, and sex in the city. (Well, in reality we talked about the pickles and studying for finals. But you always see these sophisticated city girls on television gossiping about their sex lives around the water cooler. Oh, how I'd love to be a sophisticated city girl with a sex life to talk about...)

The shipment came in early, and all of our work got done early as a result. We laughed and talked and basked in the sunlight that comes in through the big glass windows of the Sub Shack.

At eleven thirty, my heart was just bursting with happiness and my three very favorite co-workers arrived. We worked our sandwich artistry with such amounts of co-operation. I know how silly it is to be proud of really working well with a group on subs, but really, it was as poetic as sandwich making can be.

The boss got there and we all talked. I was so happy, and just ready. I decided to forgo my afternoon of studying and leave the city early. I tore out of the sub shop and called my mom.

We arranged an afternoon of sitting by the river, fishing for mudpout (Catfish, for my American readers). I was so excited, worked up to get to the ranch, dig for worms, trek out to the river. My heart sang a happy tune along with my beloved Hick music CD that Bigman made for me this summer. I was hollering along with Alabama, Joe Diffy, and Gretchen Wilson all the way down the highway.

I got home just in time for the CD to end. I was pumped for fishing. I was pumped for the back breaking labor that digging for worms was sure to bring. I was ready to put on some grub clothes and hike to the river, buckets for the fish and coolers for the beer in tow.

I tore into the driveway with a cloud of dust, my Dixie-dog barking a greeting and the radio blaring. I screeched to a halt, leapt from the Vue, which was still partially moving, and hollered to SuperNan "Let's go!"

She just kind of looked at me, and looked at the yard.

I looked at her, and looked at the house.

Me: "Wanna just sit down and drink some Coke?"

SuperNan: "How about McDonalds?"

Me: "Backbreaking labor? McDonalds? Choices!"

And so rather than my happy heart spending hours digging for worms and wrastling down Mudpout, we ate french fries at McDonalds and drove aimlessly about the country side.



Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like the perfect afternoon! Glad to see that you are getting home and havign a good time.

12:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home